Vitamins are essential for the brain to feel healthy and elevated. These vitamins contain essential nutrients that serve many purposes to increase our moods and emotional well-being. These are the best vitamins for depression as they allow for increase production of serotonin (happy chemical) in the brain, reduced level of inflammation, better neuron activity and connections, increased brain function and concentration, and reduced levels of stress, anxiety, and frustration resulting in an extremely elevated and healthy mind.
Listed below are the top 10 vitamins that help depression. I have listed all the benefits, side effects, dosage, ratings, current reviews, and cheapest prices below. Depression is a disease and it kills. We all know this by now as we see the number of cases of suicide rise each year. It is tragic and the issue is larger than we may think. What we can do is fight this mental illness naturally. Natural remedies do work such as vitamins/supplements. If you have read my “About Me” page, then you know depression and anxiety is a big part of my life. The best thing I did to combat my illness was to fight it naturally and this started with jumping on natural vitamins that elevated my mood so I could start to become better.
Best Vitamins for Depression
1) 5-HTP – 100mg Pure Encapsulations to Promote Serotonin Synthesis
- Hypoallergenic dietary supplement that promotes emotional well-being and mood elevation.
- 60 Capsules
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars with 57 customers reviews.
- This is my strongest recommendation if you are looking for a natural supplement that works mainly to elevate your mood. This was my first choice and I had never looked back nor looked for a different 5-HTP supplement. I mentioned above that depression and anxiety have been a big part of my life and still is. I take it day by day and am truly on a pathway to a better place. What I found helped to get me back on my feet was 5-HTP and specifically this brand is the one I consume. I usually take 3 capsules per day (one during each meal). Lately, I have noticed a steady increase in my mood, so I have cut down to 2 and sometimes even 1 capsule per day. Long story short, this supplement does work. You have to give it a bit of time, around 1-2 weeks to start working, but after that you will notice steady mood improvements.
- The best thing about it is that I did not notice any side effects either. There are other benefits with consuming 5-HTP other than just mood elevation such as sleep support, appetite moderation, and reduced stress and anxiety levels. If you are still unsure about 5-HTP, then I recommend you read my full article “here” that describes in large detail exactly how it works with the brain, the benefits, any side effects you may experience, comparison to antidepressants, and more.
- Click on the product above to read helpful reviews.
- Supports mood elevation by encouraging the synthesis of serotonin (happy chemical) in the brain. Serotonin is an essential neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of brain activity responsible for emotion. Lack of serotonin in the brain can result in depression. This supplement stabilizes and increases your serotonin levels, thereby allowing you to feel elevated.
- Non-habit forming. You will not need to depend on this supplement. It is pure made from all natural ingredients. Once you start to notice a steady mood improvement, you can slowly lower your doses until the supplement may not be needed anymore.
- Recommended doses range from 1-3 capsules per day.
- Appetite support – 5-HTP has shown to help moderate appetite and food cravings.
- Pure Ingredients – Pure Encapsulations manufactures a line of hypoallergenic, researched-based dietary supplements. Products are precisely formulated using natural ingredients designed to deliver predictable results for all consumers and patients.
- Free From – This vitamin is free from wheat, egg, peanuts, gluten, hydrogenated fat, magnesium stearate, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary compounds.
- Overall, this is combatyourdepression’s top recommendation. Do not solely rely on this supplement to treat your depression. This supplement will give you the emotional well-being and mood elevation you need. It is then up to you to act on this. Get back in routine, exercise, eat healthy, and take responsibilities.
The next 9 supplements listed are also beneficial for your mental and physical health each in their own unique way. It is safe to consume more than one supplement. In fact, I consume numerous supplements daily with no harm or side effects. After all, they are natural. Below is a list of the supplements I consume currently and what I have consumed in the past.
- 5-HTP: 3 capsules per day (ranging from 1-3)
- GABA: 2 capsules per day
- Turmeric: 1 capsule per day
- Omega-3: 1 capsule per day
- Theanine: 1 capsule per day
- Vitamins (A,B,C,D): I try to keep up with my regular doses. However, I believe I attain my plentiful amount through nutritional foods. Nonetheless, it is good to take your vitamins in supplement form.
- Melatonin: (used in the pass for sleep)
- Ashwagandha: (sometimes)
2) Omega-3 Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil Supplement, 2100mg
- 180 Softgels
- 1,127 customer reviews and 64 answered questions. (Click on product to read reviews)
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars
- Click on product to read helpful reviews.
- Each serving of NutriGold Triple Strength Omega-3 delivers a plentiful amount of omega-3 fatty acids that serve benefits for your mental and physical health.
- Gluten Free, Non-GMO
- I personally prefer this supplement over other omega-3 supplements because of its strength due to its dosage (mg) of fatty acids. That is an important part of picking out Omega-3 supplements. You need one that has a sufficient amount of essential fatty acids (EPA & DHA). This brand has a very efficient amount of both.
- In my opinion, everyone should be taking Omega-3s. I won’t ever stop. Why? Because of all the benefits.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids mainly serve to decrease inflammation levels in the body and brain. Abnormal or higher levels of inflammation can actually cause numerous physical and mental diseases such as depression. That is why I consider Omega-3s one of the top vitamins that help depression. Inflammation needs to go. It is very unhealthy and can be caused by numerous factors such as diet, the environment, lack of exercise, stress, etc.
- Some benefits of Omega-3 include decreasing higher triglycerated levels, reducing symptoms of arthritis, decrease symptoms of ADHD, protection against dementia and Alzheimer’s, and decrease symptoms of depression and anxiety. For a fully detailed list of benefits, read my article “here” on everything you need to know about Omega-3.
3) GABA – Thorne Research Natural Source
- GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) is an important brain chemical that promotes feelings of relaxation, calmness, and focus. For me, this supplement helps greatly with reducing anxiety. I list this as a top vitamin for depression because for many people and for me, anxiety is a big symptom of depression. That is why I take GABA as well. The combination is perfect if you have both anxiety and depression.
- 60 Capsules
- Supports a calm, relaxed, and concentrated state of mind.
- Supports restful sleep as well as making your mind stress-free.
- Again, if you are about to take GABA, give it some time to kick in. These supplements don’t start to work instantly. That is not how they work. Your brain needs to uptake the natural ingredients and put them to work. I would say give GABA at least a week to start working and for you to start to notice an improvement. After that, you’ll definitely notice its use and benefits.
- Flavors, color, sweeteners, preservatives are derived from natural sources. The product does not contain gluten, GMO’s, stearates, rye, wheat, barley, nuts, eggs, or artificial preservatives. This product also does not contain dairy, soy, corn, yeast, magnesium stearate, or sugar.
- This product also helps with mood disorders, epilepsy, and chronic pain.
- I find when I consistently take my GABA, all nerve tension, fear, and anxiety sensations disappear. I don’t have ongoing thoughts racing in my head, I won’t repeat interactions or events in my head in hopes of making the past better, and most importantly, I feel at ease. I am calm and relaxed and can actually get everything done during the day without having to worry about anything silly. I definitely recommend this supplement as your natural source to help your anxiety state. If you don’t have anxiety, then just stick to other supplements, like 5-HTP.
- Read my full review “here” on everything you need to know about GABA.
4) Vitamin B – Super B Complex Vitamins
- All B Vitamins including B12, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, Folic Acid.
- 90 vegetarian capsules.
- Manufactured by Divine Bounty
- #1 Best Seller in Vitamin B2 (RiboFlavin Supplements)
- Rated 5/5 Stars with 234 customer reviews (click on product to read reviews)
- Very potent source of B-Complex Vitamins – This product manufactures an extra strong formula containing all the essential B Vitamins in just one capsule. It is especially beneficial for those who want to take B12 and B6 together to maximize benefits. Divine Bounty offers one of the most powerful and effective Vitamin B formulas on the market.
- Best Value for your money – Each bottle contains 90 vegetarian capsules that will last you a while. The pricing is relatively inexpensive at $14.20. This is definitely your best bet for your buck. Most comparable brands offer fewer capsules with a less potent formula. With more capsules within this product and one of the highest potencies available, Divine Bounty is the road to go on if you are considering getting Vitamin B, which everyone should.
- Highest Quality Ingredients – Divine Bounty’s formula is made up of all-natural and pure ingredients with no harmful or unnecessary additives. It consists simply of the full B-Complex plus the combo of Choline and Inositol, two naturally occurring relatives to the B Vitamin family that in all can help boost memory, focus, motivation, and overall cognitive function.
- Capsules are non-GMO, gluten free, soy free, and have no preservatives, stearates, artificial ingredients, or silicone dioxide. Divine Bounty takes pride in their all naturally pure formula.
- Why is Vitamin B important? Because it counteracts daily stress and helps with the nervous system and brain. Men, women, and children can benefit from consuming their Vitamin B. Scientific studies have shown that Vitamin B consumption can help to fight symptoms of deficiency including fatigue, loss of appetite, anemia, depression, anxiety, abdominal pain, hair loss, muscle cramps, and eczema. A truly all-around vitamin everyone should be taking. I try to take my vitamin B every day. I am guilty of missing my doses but I have to get right back on track. I didn’t realize ALL the benefits there were until doing my research for this article.
- Vitamin B deficiency among our population is huge if you know it or not. People who are especially at risk of deficiency are people who take prescription antacids, people who implement fasting, those over the age of 50, people who are vegetarian or vegan, people who have stomach or small intestine disorders, pregnant or breastfeeding women, and those who drink alcohol regularly.
- Divine Bounty makes it clear this is a supplement you can take with confidence. Their formula is manufactured in the USA in an FDA inspected facility. They state if you are unsatisfied with the results, then to contact them directly to see what they can do for you as they care about all of their consumers and needs.
- Long story short, take your vitamin B. It’s definitely one of the most important vitamins that help depression but also for many other physical and mental issues.
5) Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine 1500mg
- 9,145 customer reviews and 183 answered questions! Rated 4.5/5 Stars.
- Click on product to read many helpful reviews.
- #1 Best Seller in Turmeric Herbal Supplements.
- 90 capsules.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Feel stronger and healthier or your money back, no questions asked!
- Only $17.95.
- Why is Turmeric so awesome? Many refer to turmeric as the mega multivitamin. I had actually never heard of it until maybe half a year ago. Once I read about all the benefits, I started to take my turmeric capsules. Truly a great decision. I even got my mom to start taking them. You can read my full review on this turmeric product and all the benefits explained in detail “here“.
- Turmeric is essentially a huge fighter against inflammation and oxidation in the body and brain. Both of these contribute to many diseases, mentally and physically.
- Turmeric is a spice that comes from the ginger family. What gives all the maximum benefits in turmeric is its main ingredient, curcumin. Curcumin is extracted from the roots of turmeric to make supplements with a very high potency that are responsible for all the benefits. That is why you want a turmeric supplement with a high amount of curcumin. This supplement is perfect for that, hence the high rating and almost 10,000 reviews.
- Benefits of turmeric include prevention of heart disease, prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, improvement of brain function and reduced risk of brain diseases, prevention of cancer, prevention and reduced symptoms of depression, reduction of arthritis, delayed aging and fights age-related diseases. Why? Because Turmeric is such a high effective anti-inflammatory and effective antioxidant.
- Regarding this specific turmeric supplement, it is the highest potency available that is enhanced with Bioperine. Manufactured by BioSchwartz, it consists of 1500mg of Turmeric Curcumin with 95% Curcuminoids per serving (so much curcumin – what you want in a turmeric product) as well as 10mg of BioPerine (black pepper) for enhanced absorption.
- All natural, Non-GMO, fillers, binders or preservatives. Free of gluten, egg, milk, soy, corn, wheat, and peanuts.
- Doctor formulated made in USA – BioSchwartz turmeric extract is formulated by doctors and manufactured in the USA in an FDA-approved facility abiding by strict GMP guidelines. It is also third Party Tested to assure the highest quality and purity of each batch.
6) SAM-e Nature Made 400mg
- Rated 4/5 Stars with 427 customer reviews.
- Helps support healthy mood and joint comfort.
- 36 tablets.
- Double-strength, mood-balancing 400mg SAM-e tablets.
- Clinically studied and proven to help with mood support, liver health, and joint comfort.
- Replenishes chemicals that affect mood.
- I am not that familiar with this product. Through research, it seems to be a powerful mood lifter and a lot of people actually take it. But, I find 5-HTP works great for me so I stick to that.
- The product says give it 7-14 days to start working which is normal. Other supplements like 5-HTP and GABA generally take that long too. That is no surprise.
- Through research, I have found that SAM-e is used to help with heart disease, abdominal pain, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, tendinitis, dementia, and depression. Depression is the main factor here as SAM-e’s main goal is to elevate the mood.
- Again, I do not take this nor plan on taking it because I find 5-HTP has similar effects and works great for me. I read the reviews (click on product link to read them) and majority of them attest to this product’s effectiveness. Therefore, I trust it. If you take it or are planning on taking it, then leave me a comment below. I would like some testimony.
7) Theanine – Thorne Research
- Supplement for Enhanced Relaxation, Focus and Memory
- 90 Capsules
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars with 34 customer reviews (click on product to read helpful reviews)
- Theanine or more specifically L-theanine is an amino acid found in green tea. Extracts are taken to make supplements with maximum effects and benefits. Theanine is a naturally occurring amino acid, therefore it comes from pure and all-natural ingredients.
- As stated above, I do take theanine, 1 capsule per day. It is another supplement that helps greatly with anxiety. I like the combination – taking it with GABA. Theanine makes me feel calm, relaxed, stress free, which in turn allows me to stay focused and concentrated. You can read my full review “here” on this theanine supplement and all the benefits in full detail.
- Mainly theanine promotes calmness and relaxation and supports a healthy stress response. It also enhances brain GABA production. So it is kind of 2 in 1 detail, that you are getting both theanine and GABA. I still take GABA and theanine, both separate supplements to ensure my good doses. I take 2 GABA capsules per day and 1 theanine capsule per day. It is recommended to take 1 theanine capsule per day. If you struggle with anxiety and depression, then I would recommend this supplement and GABA. For me, the combination works greatly. You can expect to feel an effect in both of those within 1-2 weeks.
- This theanine supplement also enhances brain alpha-wave activity, a sign of relaxation.
- Benefits of theanine include: reduces anxiety levels, reduces stress, promotes feelings of relaxation and calmness, improves sleep quality, improves focus and concentration, and treats high blood pressure.
- Another great thing about taking theanine that I have even come to realize is that you can drink caffeine and not worry about having heightened anxiety. Theanine reduces the negative effects of caffeine. Caffeine always worsened my anxiety. I used to drink it all the time before I had anxiety which is the sad part. So if you find caffeine worsens your anxiety, theanine implements a healthy balance that will allow you to consume caffeine without raising your anxiety levels!
- I definitely recommend this product if you suffer from both depression and anxiety. Make sure to give it some time to start working, at least 1-2 weeks.
8) Melatonin – Pure Encapsulations 3mg
- Hypoallergenic Supplement that Supports the Body’s Natural Sleep Cycle
- 60 capsules
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars with 61 customer reviews (click on product to read helpful reviews)
- Melatonin is a natural supplement that improves sleep for those who suffer from insomnia or just lack sleep in general. A common symptom of depression is lack of sleep quality, so melatonin is often a recommended supplement for that.
- Melatonin is used to facilitate the natural functioning of the pineal gland to support the body’s sleep and wake cycle. It promotes relaxation in the body for restful sleep.
- As mentioned above, I used to take melatonin in my worse days of depression. I can attest it does work. I would take one capsule before bed at night and would find that within minutes I could feel a sleepy effect. I did wake up feeling refreshed and energized the next day. But, only stick to one capsule per night. I had taken 2 capsules a couple nights because I was in a bad state – either really stressed or my depression was worse at the time. It sure knocked me out nicely, but the next day I felt groggy and very sleepy. Melatonin is extremely safe to use and you don’t have to worry about overdosing like pharmaceuticals. It is an all-natural supplement. You can read my full review on melatonin “here“.
- Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland, the organ that is in control of the body’s sleep/wake cycle and is secreted by the circadian rhythm.
- This product is manufactured by Pure Encapsulations that is precisely formulated using pure ingredients. The product is free from gluten, wheat, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary additives.
- Melatonin is extremely effective for those who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), a type of depression that is related to changes in seasons. In most cases, SAD symptoms begin in early Fall or Winter and end once the sunnier, warmer days come back again.
- In all, I can attest to you that melatonin actually does work despite what some people may say. If you are struggling and not getting that good night’s sleep to make you functionable during the day, then this is the supplement for you.
9) Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder 1200mg
- 120 Veggie Capsules
- #1 Best Seller in Ayurveda Products
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars with 721 reviews and 33 answered questions. (click on product to read reviews)
- Ashwagandha is one of the most powerful herbs in Ayurvedic healing. It has been used for over 3,000 years and is an incredibly healthy medicinal herb for many reasons.
- Its main benefits include relief of stress, increased energy levels, and improved concentration. It is most commonly known for its restorative benefits.
- If you find you lack energy, have difficulty concentrating, and are constantly fatigued, then I would recommend this natural herb.
- The plant’s tuberous roots have been used for many centuries in traditional Indian medicine and its benefits are backed up by more than 200 scientific journals.
- Some benefits include: improves learning, memory, and reaction time, reduces blood sugar levels, reduces anxiety and depression, combats stress, combats panic attacks, enhances sexual strength and desire for both men and women, increases energy, and improves brain function. You can read my full review on ashawagandha “here“.
- This supplement is manufactured by NutraHerbals and is pure organically grown root powder with no dangerous extract processes or harsh chemicals. It also includes a black pepper extract for increased absorption like turmeric does.
- The supplement is organic, GMO free, and vegan safe. The price is $19.94. That is a great deal considering there are 120 capsules.
- Money back guarantee – All NutraHerbal products are made in the USA with an FDA approved facility abiding by GMP guidelines. If for any reason you are not happy, contact them directly for your money back.
- NatraHerbals state many of their consumers take this supplement for relaxation, natural calmness, alleviating mood swings, and for depression.
10) Ultra Magnesium 100mg
- Just Potent Ultra-High Absorption Magnesium
- 300 capsules
- Rated 4.5/5 Stars with 36 customer reviews.
- Supports heart, bone, muscle health and promotes anti-stress.
- All natural ingredients, organic, vegan, and non-GMO.
- I don’t take magnesium right now but am considering it. Through research, I have read numerous times that magnesium deficiency is one of the reasons responsible for major depression. Magnesium deficiency can also be related to other mental health problems such as IQ loss and addiction. Scientists have recommended magnesium deficiency for immediate further studies.
- According to a scientific study, magnesium ions control calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate the production of nitric oxide. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, which potentially causes neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Therefore, it is hypothesized that magnesium uptake could be a potential treatment for major depression that results from intraneuronal magnesium deficits.
- These studies are interesting and I wasn’t brushed up on my knowledge of magnesium deficiency before this research. Taking magnesium supplements is definitely something to consider. They also have many benefits associated with physical health so it’s like a win-win situation.
There you go. I have listed the best vitamins for depression that are backed up from my own testimonies, reviews, and research. Vitamins are essential for our bodies and brains. They contain an abundance of nutrients we need to be in a healthy state, both physically and mentally. If you suffer from depression, I strongly recommend you jump on natural supplements/vitamins. I gave you my top recommendation above that will work in your favor.
After you start to consume your natural supplements, within time you will start to see many mental and physical improvements. Consuming vitamins will give you the jump-start you need to better your situation. Essential vitamins allow you to have an elevated mood, increased focus and concentration, increased motivation, reduced inflammation, better neuronal activity, and reduced stress and anxiety, resulting in a healthy mind and body. What would you do with these improvements?
It is up to you! Change your life-style. Change your eating habits. Start exercising. Take responsibilities. Read my article “here” that discusses the importance of a healthy diet and depression, and “here” for the importance of exercise and depression. Never give up. We all know with experience that the mental illness of depression is terrible. It works in weird and wondrous ways and has the potential to be life-threatening. That being said, you must do something about it! Act now and fight this naturally like I did and am still doing.
If you have any question, concerns, or just want to talk, please leave me a comment below!