Turmeric is a spice that comes from the ginger family. Honestly, everyone should be taking turmeric supplements.
Turmeric is actually not that common. It is actually used frequently in Asian food and is the main ingredient in curry.
The root of turmeric is frequently used to make medicine. Turmeric contains a yellow colored chemical called curcumin which is often used to flavor or color foods such as butter, cheeses, mustards, and powders.
There are many health benefits of turmeric and I will cover all of them in this article.
I will also provide you with the turmeric supplement I take. I find that I don’t have enough time in the day to make foods that contain turmeric, so what I do is consume my turmeric supplement everyday.
Also, what you want to consume is the main spice in turmeric which I have mentioned already: curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient that has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that give turmeric its benefits.
However, the curcumin content of turmeric is actually low (around 3%) found in foods.
Therefore, supplements use turmeric extracts that contain mostly curcumin which is good because you are getting a much higher level of curcumin.
It is very difficult to reach the necessary levels of curcumin just by consuming turmeric spice in your foods. That is another reason why I prefer supplements.
Turmeric to many is considered the most effective and efficient natural supplement in existence.
You want to take an effective amount of curcumin which come from the extracts of turmeric via supplement form.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Inflammation in the body and brain is extremely important. Inflammation causes numerous diseases linked both in the body and mind. Inflammation promotes chronic pain, heart disease, arthritis, cancer, Alzheimer’s, and even depression. With consuming a strong anti-inflammatory like turmeric, you will be giving your body and mind these anti-inflammatory properties they need to be healthy.
- The curcumin of turmeric is considered such a strong anti-inflammatory that it may be equally efficient when compared to some anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Inflammation among the body and mind is actually a very complex process involving many molecular interactions. The take-away message here is that curcumin of turmeric is an effective substance that fights off inflammation, thereby promoting strong health.
- Damage to the body or mind can be influenced by oxidation. It is believed that oxidation may be one of the causative agents behind many diseases. Fortunately, turmeric helps to beat oxidation as it is a highly beneficial antioxidant.
- Oxidation involves free radicals (highly reactive molecules) that react with essential organic compounds including fatty acids, DNA, and proteins. This is not good for our bodies and minds.
- Antioxidants come into play as they protect our minds and bodies from these harmful free radicals.
- Curcumin in turmeric tends to be a strong antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals and also enhance our own antioxidant enzymes in the body. This allows free radicals to be destroyed as well as stimulating our own antioxidant mechanisms. Overall, curcumin has very powerful antioxidant effects that allow the body and mind to be free of oxidation.
- Prevention of Heart Disease
- Heart disease is a major contribution to death in the world. Heart disease is very complex and has been studied for many years. We now realize there are many factors that contribute to it. Turmeric helps in the prevention of heart disease mainly by improving endothelium (lining of blood vessels) function and by also being a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant (discussed above).
- It is proven that endothelial dysfunction is a major contributor to heart disease because the endothelium is unable to regulate blood pressure and blood clotting.
- Fortunately, many studies have shown that curcumin in turmeric helps to improve endothelial function. In fact, one study actually shows that curcumin can be as effective as exercise and work as good as the drug Atorvastatin.
- Again, inflammation and oxidation are also drivers of heart disease. Consequently, turmeric (being an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory) helps to reduce heart disease.
- In an experimental investigation, 121 volunteered patients were undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery who were divided into either a placebo category or 4 grams of curcumin per day category. The results showed that the curcumin group of patients had a 65% decreased risk of experiencing a heart attack in the hospital.
- Prevention of Depression
- Another benefit of turmeric curcumin is the prevention of depression as well as reducing symptoms of depression. A scientific study shows that curcumin is as effective as an antidepressant.
- Mental illness such as depression can be related to high areas of inflammation in the brain. Turmeric aids in this matter as it is an anti-inflammatory. Depression is also correlated to an unbalanced brain chemistry and reduced levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factors. Curcumin increases BNDF levels, thereby reversing some of these brain changes.
- There is also clinical research that suggests curcumin in turmeric can boost brain neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin (happy chemicals).
- Prevention and Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Unfortunately, Alzheimer’s is the most frequent neurodegenerative disease in the world and the number one cause of dementia with a very limited available treatment.
- It is essential to try to prevent this disease before it starts to show up. Curcumin has shown to be able to cross the blood-brain barrier. Again, inflammation and oxidation contributes to yet another disease, Alzheimer’s. Are you starting to see a pattern here? Inflammation and oxidation is very common and contributes to many diseases.
- Another important feature of Alzheimer’s is an expansion of protein tangles referred to as Amyloid plaques. Scientific studies have shown that curcumin can help get rid of these plaques.
- More scientific evidence is needed to fully understand the progression of turmeric against Alzheimer’s. Nonetheless, you can’t go wrong with taking turmeric supplements to help reduce or prevent Alzheimer’s and many other diseases.
- Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (Improve Brain Function and Reduce Risk of Brain Diseases)
- It is now known that neurons are indeed capable of dividing and multiplying. They are able to form new connections and in specific areas of the brain, they can increase and multiply in number.
- The main contributor to this mechanism is Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) which is classified as a type of growth hormone, functioning in our minds.
- Brain disorders such as depression, anxiety, and Alzheimer’s have been linked to a decrease in this hormone. Fortunately, curcumin in turmeric can increase brain levels of BDNF. Therefore, turmeric allows for the reversion and delay of many brain diseases.
- Prevention and Treatment of Cancer
- Cancer is a group of diseases caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell growth that is capable of spreading around the body. Scientific studies are still ongoing but so far studies have shown that curcumin in turmeric can be a beneficial herb in cancer treatment. How does it help?
- Curcumin can reduce angiogenesis (increase of new blood vessels in tumors), metastasis (spread of cancer via blood stream), and contribute to the death of cancerous cells.
- Many studies have proven that curcumin can lower the growth levels of cancerous cells and obstruct the growth of tumors in test animals.
- There is some evidence that curcumin may help with the prevention of cancer in the first place such as cancers involved with the digestive system (ex. colon cancer).
- It is too early to decipher whether curcumin of turmeric will be an ordinary cancer treatment in the future, but it looks good as many ongoing studies are occurring.
- Reduction of Arthritis
- The number of Arthritis cases are increasing annually, especially in Western countries. Arthritis patients actually respond very positively to curcumin supplementation.
- There are numerous types of arthritis, but most are associated with inflammation in the joints. Again, now we must know (since I said it a hundred times) that curcumin of turmeric is a very strong anti-inflammatory, so it makes perfect sense that it could aid with arthritis.
- In a scientific investigation with rheumatoid arthritis, curcumin was proven to be more effective than an anti-inflammatory drug.
- Delay Aging and Fight Age-Related Diseases
- Oxidation and inflammation are known to contribute to aging, so again, curcumin has benefits associated with reducing this. If you think about it, curcumin of turmeric can help prevent heart disease, depression, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and increase brain function, so it must be related to longevity (long life).
- Therefore, curcumin has become increasingly popular as an anti-aging supplement.
You can’t go wrong with taking turmeric and turmeric supplementation has been drastically increasing.
Here is the supplement I take and strongly recommend. It is a very effective dosage of the curcumin in turmeric you need.
Remember I stated in the beginning of this article: it is the curcumin you want to consume.
Curcumin is the main ingredient in turmeric that contains these anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that contribute to the prevention of all these diseases. The curcumin content of turmeric is actually low.
That is why we take the extracts of curcumin in turmeric and make supplements, thereby allowing us to consume the effective amount of curcumin. It is difficult to consume the necessary levels of curcumin in turmeric foods, that is why I choose supplementation. It is quick, easy, and efficient.
That is why I take this supplement which has a very effective dosage of curcumin. I find it to be the best turmeric supplement.
I strongly encourage you to take your turmeric supplements. That is the supplement form I take and recommend. If you have doubts, then I encourage you to read the reviews. Turmeric really is that beneficial. I wish more people knew about it.
If you have any questions or concerns, please leave a comment below.